Abstract's details

Assessment over ocean of the last Poseidon1 reprocessing

Hélène Roinard (CLS, France)


François Bignalet-Cazalet (CNES, France); Nicolas Picot (CNES, France); Pierre Thibaut (CLS, France)

Event: 2022 Ocean Surface Topography Science Team Meeting

Session: Regional and Global CAL/VAL for Assembling a Climate Data Record

Presentation type: Type Poster

Contribution: PDF file


On August 10 1992, the TopEx/Poseidon satellite was successfully launched into orbit by an Ariane 42P rocket from the French Guiana launch site. For the next 13½ years, the two radar altimeters on board the platform, the NASA Altimeter (ALT) and SSALT (or Poseidon-1), successfully collected valuable oceanographic data. Since both altimeters operated at the same frequency and used the same antenna, a sharing plan of the antenna was established which allowed operation of the ALT 90% of the time with the remaining 10% devoted to Poseidon-1 operation.

The Poseidon-1 reprocessing activity that was performed during the last years by CNES/CLS teams. It included the reprocessing of all internal calibration sequences, the retracking of the waveforms and the update of the instrumental corrections. Poseidon-1 proved to have an excellent instrumental stability making it valuable to contribute to the TOPEX‐A drift on going analysis. In addition to being useful for the Global Mean Sea Level determination, this reprocessing also offered the possibility to enrich the long-term altimetry records with homogenized data set.
The objective of this presentation consists in giving an overview of Poseidon-1 data quality and assessing the performance of products at mono-mission crossovers and along-track. Comparisons to TOPEX GDR-F preliminary dataset are also presented.


Poster show times:

Room Start Date End Date
Mezzanine Tue, Nov 01 2022,17:15 Tue, Nov 01 2022,18:15
Mezzanine Thu, Nov 03 2022,14:00 Thu, Nov 03 2022,15:45
Hélène Roinard